According to the Cisco Visual Networking Index (VNI), global mobile data traffic will increase 13-fold between 2012 and 2017.
Other interesting trends and conclusions from the report include:
- The mobile data traffic in 2012 was nearly twelve times the size of the entire global Internet in 2000.
- Average smartphone traffic grew by 81 percent in 2012 (342 MB/month in average).
- There was 36 million mobile-connected tablets in 2012, generating on average 2.4 times more traffic than a smartphone.
- The number of mobile-connected devices will exceed the world’s population by the end of 2013.
- The top 1% of mobile data subscribers generate 16% of the data traffic.
- Two thirds of the world’s mobile data traffic will be video by 2017.
3GPP Policy Control
Mobile operators are facing their biggest challenges to date, especially those who have to compete with flat-rate data plans.
To handle this situation, mobile operators need to work from two ends, optimizing their 3G/4G traffic as well as finding new cheaper ways to satisfy the data-hungry subscribers. Aptilo’s mobile data offloading to Wi-Fi solution allows operators to add capacity over additional spectrum, in a cost-effective manner. Aptilo’s policy and charging core – available as an integral part of the Aptilo Service Management Platform™ and as a stand-alone product the Aptilo Policy & Charging Server™ – helps operators to define policies in the 3G/4G network as well as in Wi-Fi and WiMAX.
Aptilo’s 3GPP Policy & Charging solution helps mobile operators to save cost by optimizing the data traffic in the network with functions such as:
- Fair-use policies
- Speed throttling in thresholds
- Differentiated rating for Wi-Fi usage
- Service-triggered QoS changes
- Tiered services based on time of day and day of week
Creation of additional revenue
Aptilo’s 3GPP Policy & Charging solution helps mobile operators gain additional revenue by enabling tiered services and ad-hoc services such as Video-on-Demand.
Policy-controlled user interaction
Aptilo’s 3GPP Policy & Charging solution helps mobile operators to dynamically interact with their customers in a personal, yet effective way by using policies. This policy-controlled user interaction can be utilized in many ways including:
- Bill shock prevention notifications
- User interaction in loyalty programs
- Parental and corporate control notifications
Aptilo’s 3GPP Policy & Charging solution gives you more, we call it PCRF+
In addition to the standards compliant PCRF functionality, Aptilo’s policy and charging core offers value-added functionality, allowing operators to take a more holistic approach to policy control. This is why we call it PCRF+ :
- Prepaid data balance.
- Policy-based IP assignment.
- Policy-based routing (via BGP).
- Optional additional modules such as Web portals.
- Flexible protocol adapters.
- Dynamic rule creation with configurable parameter sets.