The generic 3GPP AAA server – as defined in the standards – provides authentication, authorization, policy control and routing information to packet gateways in the Wi-Fi core and mobile core for 3GPP Wi-Fi access. It performs EAP-SIM/AKA authentication of SIM devices directly to the HLR/HSS for a seamless and secure access to the Wi-Fi network. Although this standard node performs critical functions, we have seen in many of our Wi-Fi offload implementations that there is a need to add additional functions:
- Authentication for devices that do not support the EAP-SIM/AKA method.
- Authentication for Wi-Fi devices without a SIM-card.
- Support for monetizing the Wi-Fi network by allowing signup of ad-hoc users through Web Portals.
- Ability to define granular Wi-Fi specific policies to for example control QoS in the Wi-Fi network.
Adding a plus to the standard 3GPP AAA
To put it simple, the standard 3GPP AAA needs extended functions to monetize the Wi-Fi network and to support all type of devices.
For this purpose, we have created the Aptilo 3GPP AAA+ Server which is based on the award-winning Aptilo Service Management Platform™ (SMP). It has the same SIM authentication functionality as the Aptilo SIM Authentication Server™ and we have also added some critical functions from the Aptilo SMP for carrier-class Wi-Fi services.
These additional functions include:
- Support for devices lacking SIM authentication capabilities.
- A Web portal for ad-hoc users and as one of the alternative authentication methods for offloading of non-SIM devices.
- A Wi-Fi AAA to be able to run a carrier-class Wi-Fi service integrated with the existing OSS/BSS systems.
- A Wi-Fi Policy & Charging subsystem to apply granular policy and charging in the Wi-Fi network based on definitions that reside in the mobile operator’s existing OSS / BSS and mobile core.
- A Wi-Fi subscriber database in order to add Wi-Fi accounts and monetize the Wi-Fi network by open up for public use.
Learn more about how the Aptilo 3GPP AAA+ Server performs SIM-Authentication and fits into the different 3GPP Wi-Fi access options.