A standard 3GPP AAA server provides authentication, authorization, policy control and routing information to packet gateways for 3GPP Wi-Fi access. It performs EAP-SIM/AKA authentication of SIM devices directly to the HLR/HSS. This provides a seamless and secure access to the Wi-Fi network. The standard 3GPP AAA performs critical functions. But, we have seen in many of our Wi-Fi offload implementations that there is a need to add additional functionallity:
- Authentication for devices that do not support the EAP-SIM/AKA method.
- Authentication for Wi-Fi devices without a SIM-card.
- Support for monetizing the Wi-Fi network by allowing signup of ad-hoc users through Web Portals.
- Ability to define granular Wi-Fi specific policies to for example control QoS in the Wi-Fi network.
Adding a plus to the standard 3GPP AAA
To put it simple, the standard 3GPP AAA needs extended functions to monetize the Wi-Fi network and to support all type of devices.
For this purpose, we have created the Aptilo SMP 3GPP AAA+™ application on the award-winning Aptilo Service Management Platform™ (SMP). It has the same SIM authentication functionality as the Aptilo SMP SIM Authentication™ application and we have also added some critical functions from the Aptilo SMP for carrier-class Wi-Fi services.
These additional functions include:
- Support for devices lacking SIM authentication capabilities.
- A Web portal for ad-hoc users and as one of the alternative authentication methods for offloading of non-SIM devices.
- A Wi-Fi AAA to be able to run a carrier-class Wi-Fi service integrated with the existing OSS/BSS systems.
- Lookup of policies from operator’s existing OSS / BSS and mobile core.
- A Wi-Fi Policy & Charging subsystem to apply granular policy and charging in the Wi-Fi network based on information received from the policy lookups and/or from the operator’s PCRF.
- Handling roaming with third-party Wi-Fi footprint.
- A Wi-Fi subscriber database in order to add Wi-Fi accounts and monetize the Wi-Fi network by open up for public use.
Need a 3GPP AAA for Wi-Fi Calling?
We got it! Just implement the Aptilo SMP Wi-Fi Calling™ function on the same Aptilo SMP platform.